29/11/2018 - New Design & Group Critique
Having decided that my initial design looked like a hot air balloon when cut up, I started looking into a different window.
My change of heart was just before our group critique, so I took along my research and asked my colleagues if this might be a better alternative. They agreed that it did.
This is the rose window at St Patrick's Cathedral, again in New York, and it reminds me of the acanthus leaf motif.
I started the new design by just drawing up one "segment". Katy was doing the rounds and I quickly "arrayed" the leaf round to show her my plans. I tried 6 segments, but they didn't fit. So I tried 5 and loved it. I think the odd number makes it look more organic and another step removed from the architectural feature that inspired it.